We offer the following Day Trips:
Windhoek City Tour
City tour Christuskirche (25 min)
One of Windhoek's most prominent landmarks is the Christuskirche or Christ Church. The Lutheran Church was constructed in 1907 and opened in 1910 after the end of the Nama and Herero War. It is the oldest Evangelical Lutheran church in Namibia.
The building is perched slightly above the city in the heart of the historical part of town. The spire stands 24 metres hight and the building is constructed of mostly local quartz sandstone. The neo-Gothic and Art Nouveau style combined with stained glass windows donated by Wilhelm II gives the Christuskirche its unique character. The clock from Germany and the marble altar from Italy are noteable features. The Christuskirche is located on a circle on Fidel Castro Street and Robert Mugabe Avenue.
Tintenpalast (30 min walk around in gardens)
The Tintenpalast is the seat of both chambers of the Namibian legislature, the National Council and the National Assembly. It is located in the Namibian capital of Windhoek.
The Tintenpalast, which is located just north of Robert Mugabe Avenue, was designed by German architect Gottlieb Redecker It was built by the company Sander & Kock between 1912 and 1913 out of regional materials as an administration building for the German government, which colonized Namibia at the time. As an allusion to the large ink usage by the workers in the building, it was named “Tintenpalast” or “Ink Palace” (German). The building is surrounded by the Parliament Gardens which is very popular with the locals.
Alte Feste (45 min walk or more as needed)
The Alte Feste (Old Fortress) is a fortress and museum in downtown Windhoek.
The building was designed by captain Curt von François to serve as headquarters of the imperial German Schutztruppe (colonial military force) during German colonisation of South-West Africa. The location of Windhoek, which was deserted and completely destroyed at that time, was chosen because the Germans felt it would serve as a buffer zone between the Nama and Herero tribes. The fort was, however, never involved in any military action.
The foundation was laid on 18 October 1890 by then Schutztruppe private Gustav Tünschel. The building was redesigned multiple times during its first years; its final layout was only completed in 1915. It consists of an inner courtyard with high walls and accommodation for the troops on the inside, as well as four towers. Alte Feste is the oldest surviving building in the city which subsequently developed around it. After the World War I German surrender in South West Africa, Windhoek was occupied by the South African Army in March 1915. Alte Feste now served as military headquarters for the South African Union troops.
In 1935 the fort was used for a more peaceful purpose when it was converted into a hostel for the adjacent Windhoek High School. Already severely dilapidated, it was declared a National Monument in 1957. The building was renovated extensively in 1963, and since then accommodates the National Museum of Namibia. Since 2010 the Reiterdenkmal, Windhoek's well-known equestrian monument, is placed in front of Alte Feste.
Namibia Craft Centre – Shopping
There is an open air craft centre just near the new Hilton Hotel in Independence Avenue which you can visit to buy souvenirs to take back home.
The Craft Centre in the Old Breweries Building in Tal Street is the primary outlet for Namibia's local creativity. The Namibia Craft Centre provides an excellent platform for Namibian craftsmen and entrepreneurs and has been a factor in providing jobs and livelihoods for many Namibians. Visitors can purchase anything from beauty products to clothing, music, jewellery, baskets, woodcarvings and the legendary mopane worms. The venue now includes a designated parking area, coffee shop, photographic studio and the headquarters of the Hospitality Association of Namibia (HAN).
Windhoek Railway Station (German: Bahnhof Windhoek) is a railway station serving the City of Windhoek, capital of Namibia. It is an important station in the Namibian rail network and it is run by TransNamib.
The first railway line to reach Windhoek was the one from Swakopmund, built in 1902 during Imperial Germany's colonial rule of German South West Africa. In 1914 this line was extended to Walvis Bay. The southern line from Lüderitz (built 1906) was connected via Keetmanshoop to Windhoek in 1912. In 1930 the eastern line to Gobabis was built.
Windhoek is connected to a number of towns in the north of Namibia via the railway junction in Kranzberg, which lies on the Windhoek-Swakopmund-Walvis Bay route. The locomotive which stands in front of the station is one half of a South West African Zwillinge No 154A, the sole surviving specimen of this type of steam locomotive.
The township of Katutura owes its existence to Namibia's colonial past. After the First World War the territory of South West Africa (now Namibia) passed from German Colonial rule to being governed by South Africa (under a League of Nations mandate). South West Africa was virtually incorporated into South Africa and governed as a 5th province, rather than as a colony or separate territory. This meant that the Apartheid rules from South Africa were enforced within the territory as well (with a few exceptions). As a result of these laws and the policy of &slquo;separate development&srquo;, township areas for various ethnic groups were created in town. Windhoek had three major divisions: the City of Windhoek, mainly for whites, Khomasdal, for coloureds (people of mixed race) and Katutura (for blacks). Katutura was further divided into areas based on ethnic and tribal designations
Xwama Cultural Village
This special spot in the Wanaheda section of Katutura, Windhoek, is not really a village, but a place where tourists can sit on logs and eat local food around the fire whilst being entertained by a traditional cultural performance and/or stories based on some of Namibia's oral traditions. The shop next to the eating area contains the range of ‘Pewa’ cosmetic products that have all been created from Namibian plants and based on their traditional uses. Ethnic decoration that takes you back to the African roots at the same time having rich African and Namibian flavors nourishing your Body and Soul.
While in Katutura there are several other places of interest to visit such as the Soweto Market, Single Quarters to taste open fire barbequed meat, Eveline Street etc.
Gocheganas Wellness Village
“GOCHEGANAS” - a descriptive Damara name, meaning: “Place of Camel Thorns, abounding with Candle-Pod Acacias” is more than just a place, it is an experience... Located a mere 29km south east from Windhoek, and situated on a hilltop overlooking a spectacular landscape, this luxurious Lodge offers a unique combination of Wildlife, Nature and Wellness experiences.
9h00: Pick up from guesthouse, departure to Gocheganas Wellness village
Wellness is a holistic approach to health that combines all aspects of physical, mental and spiritual well-being to realign mind, body and soul. It is a place where the noise of our busy lives is drowned out by the whispers of tranquillity - a place where we can draw upon the strength of a healthy body and the sanctuary of our inner calm.
Upon arrival guests can relax around the pool and enjoy the beautiful scenery and the sun. The heated indoor swimming pool is built under a cathedral-like masonry vault, while the cold outdoor swimming pool is situated on an Oasis Peninsula with breath taking views.
There are about 25 different large game species totalling approximately 1,600 animals roaming across the reserve. You can enjoy early morning and late afternoon game drives which remain a highlight for many of our visitors.
13h00: Lunch is served
15h00: Head back to Windhoek
After a nice day of sun basking and relaxing around the GocheGanas pool while enjoying the tranquillity of the surrounding mountains, we head back to Windhoek.
Cheetah & Leopards at 09h00 + Game drive
In 1908 Captain Lieutenant Matthiesen bought the ranch and named it Düsternbrook after a suburb of the German seaport Kiel. In 1942 he sold the ranch to the Vaatz family. In 1949 the farmhouse had to be renovated and was enlarged to what it is today.
Düsternbrook was the first guest farm in Namibia, located just north of Windhoek. It is located on a mountain with a breathtaking view over a dry wide riverbed. The historical old farm house is built out of natural stone, in colonial style.
Daan Viljoen Nature Reserve
Walk up to dam and game drive
Daan Viljoen Park previously formed part of the “Augeigas Reserve”. A mission station with school facilities for about 80 scholars was completed in 1930 and the severe drought of 1932 resulted in the construction of various wells and planning of a few dams. It was during this period that the Augeigas Dam (1933) with a wall measuring 21.5m in height was completed. After an exceptionally good rainy season in 1934, the veld recovered to a great extent and water was abundant in dams and wells. But the water supply quickly diminished and grazing became scarce. In 1956 the last people left and the area was divided into farms in 1961. A small section measuring 1 200ha was set aside to recover from overgrazing and was developed into a game park. The administrator of the then South West Africa, 1962, donated 2 700ha to be added to the planned game reserve. During 1966, the park was proclaimed as it is today, with a total area of 3 946 ha.
Set west of Windhoek in the Khomas Hochland the Daan Viljoen Game Park is a popular getaway for the capital's residents. At 40 km Daan Viljoen is a comparatively small park but still offers a variety of animals including Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, Gemsbok, Eland, Red Hartebeest, Eland, Kudu, Springbok, Blue Wildebeest, Baboon, Klipspringer, Steenbok and Rock Dassie. Because Daan Viljoen is free from predators the park is ideal for exploration on foot. The variety of indigenous flora and 200 bird species are popular with hikers. Avid birders can look out for Rock Runners, White-tailed Shrike, Monteiro's Hornbill and Ruppell's parrot. A circular drive of 6.4 km provides good game viewing especially at sunset. Daan Viljoen has been a popular getaway since the 1960s.
Okahandja is home to two of the largest wood carving markets in Namibia. The Curio stalls can be seen at both the southern entrance to the town as well as the northern side. Craftsmen here specialize in large wooden carvings. These include some beautiful thin, wooden giraffes (some 2m or more high), huge ‘tribal’ heads, cute flexible snakes, and wide selections of more ordinary carved hippos and bowls.